Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Farming with Wildlife II

Here are some recent photos of wildlife on the farm. We had two weeks of stormy weather earlier this month, and had huge flocks of swans, ducks (mostly widgeon), and sandhill cranes that stayed on the farm. It was really fun to wake up and see the swans out of the kitchen window every morning. Not so much fun was chasing 300 geese out of our young wheat before they trampled and ate it all--one morning I went after them five times during a 90 minute period. I'd scare them up, and they would wait for me to leave and then go back to eat breakfast in the wheat. However, last week the weather turned sunny and warm, and most of the birds have left us again, on the way to their breeding grounds in Canada and Alaska. It's sad to see them go...

The photos are mostly swans, with some mudhens (coots) and a river otter thrown in.









3 comments:

Tricia said...

Beautious! What? It's a word!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for opening your farm to the natural world - animals and humans! I try to eat local food that is grown by farmers who are working to create life! How the food I eat is grown and prepared makes such a difference to the actual physical person I become. There is healing in your work.

I live in Washington state so you may be as local as I can get for rice. Thanks for being the farmer - I'm a clown.

Dawn Stratton

Unknown said...

how beautiful and how excellent is what you are doing! I can imagine how problematic it must be trying to share your land with the critters. It must be like having really difficult roommates who eat your food and won't do their dishes -- and you can't even talk to them about it! But it's something we all need to learn how to do, and you are showing us how. These pictures you've posted -- I just keep staring at them; they move me in some deep way. Thank you...

-geo from san francisco